What is an On-Premises Business advertisement?
An On-Premises Business Advertisement means an advertisement aimed at identifying and locating business enterprises and industries. This is stated in the “Policy on Outdoor Advertising Control”, approved by Council in July 2004. If the sign is visible from any street or public place, it is seen as an outdoor advertising sign and approval should be obtained by Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality (EMM) prior to erecting such a sign. The “Policy on Outdoor Advertising Control” of EMM contains detail on the requirements and criteria for On-Premises Business Advertisements, some of the main criteria include:
- This class will be permitted in the following areas of control:
- Individual advertising signs - All areas of control.
- Combination signs - Partial and minimum control
- The size and height of individual advertising signs allowed in this class, are as follows:
- Maximum control - Maximum area: 6m2
- Partial / Minimum control - Maximum area: 12m2
- Maximum 7,5m (may be increased to 10,5m if permitted in Town Planning Scheme).
- Sponsor name or logo:
- Maximum of 1/3 of total advertisement area.
- The size and height of combination signs, are as follows:
- Maximum 16m2
Maximum size may be increased to 23m2 if height restriction is relaxed in terms of the Town Planning Scheme
Minimum dimension per panel: 1m x 1m
Not less than four and not more than ten panels per side will be permitted
- Maximum 16m2
- Maximum 7,5m
Height may be increased to 10,5m if permitted in Town Planning Scheme
- Maximum 7,5m
- Width of structure:
- Not less than 2,1m
- Not more than 3m
- Clear Height:
- The position and spacing requirements for these advertising signs are as follows:
- Only locality bound advertisements.
- Individual free-standing advertising signs will only be permitted if unable to affixed to the building.
- The relevant Consent use or Town Planning Scheme is applicable.
- One sign per street frontage (max two per site).
- Placed close to business or if not close or visible from road, then at entrance road.
- Preference will be given to combination signs. Combination signs may incorporate several businesses on one sign, using a single panel per business.
- Illumination is permitted in areas of minimum and partial control, while only limited external illumination shall be permitted in areas of maximum control, but may not be animated.
- This class consists of free-standing advertising signs with locality bound advertisements which are aimed at identifying and locating businesses and industries including farm stalls and businesses on farms and smallholdings.
- General requirements as stated in Section 13 to 18 in the policy apply.
- This class shall not include signage for small businesses on urban residential sites or on buildings that house residential home-undertakings and community institutions.
- No sign shall obstruct the view from any adjacent building.
- Advertisements in this class shall refer only to the name, logo and nature of the business on the premises and no product advertising or advertising for sales of any kind are permitted on this advertising sign.
- This class is subject to the approval of the EMM.