What is the penalties if I advertise illegally
- If any sign is displayed so that in the opinion of the Council is detrimental to the environment or to the amenities of the neighbourhood, or otherwise in contravention of any requirement of this Policy, the Council may serve a notice on the owner of the sign to remove such sign or carry out such alteration thereto or do such work as may be specified in such notice within a time specified in the notice.
- If a person fails to comply with a request contained in such notice the Council may remove such a sign or advertising structure.
- The Council shall, in removing a sign under such circumstances not be required to compensate any person in respect of such sign in any way for loss or damage resulting from its removal.
- Any costs incurred by the Council in removing a sign or in doing alterations or other necessary works may be recovered from the person on whom the notice was served, or if a deposit has been paid in respect of such sign the costs may be deducted from the deposit.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, if a sign constitutes a danger to life on property or is obscene, the Council itself may, without serving any notice, carry out the removal of such sign or advertising structure.
Any person who:
- contravenes or fails to comply with any provisions of this policy:
- contravenes or fails to comply with any requirement set out in a notice issued and served on him in terms of this policy;
- contravenes or fails to comply with any conditions imposed in terms of this policy;
- knowingly makes a false statement in respect of any application in terms of this policy; Shall be guilty of an offence and shall on conviction be liable to a fine not exceeding R4000,00 or, in default of payment, to imprisonment for a period not exceeding twelve months, and in the case of a continuing offence to a fine not exceeding R500,00 for every day during the continuance of such offence after a written notice has been issued by the Council requiring discontinuance of such offence, and for a second or subsequent offence he shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding R4000,00, or in default of payment, to imprisonment for a period not exceeding twelve (12) months.