The City of Ekurhuleni adopted a new strategic approach by embracing the Aerotropolis concept in transforming and developing the City. The Aerotropolis was adopted as a flagship project together with other eight flagship projects following the adoption of Growth and Development Strategy 2055. The Aerotropolis, Revitalization of the Manufacturing Sector and Revitalization of Township Economies are at the center of promoting economic growth and development with the Aerotropolis developed as the overarching economic development programme for the City.
This document provides overview of the Ekurhuleni Investment Conference. This event forms part of the Live-Play-Investment campaign and thus provide the platform to the City as the investment destination of choice. The 2016/17 event is the second iteration of this annual event with the first one held in November 20015 with the objective of promoting the Aerotropolis development as the City's economic development programme and to solicit key stakeholders support in rolling out the development programme.
The 2016/17 event will focus on the City's 10-point plan priorities
- A clear roadmap for the effective implementation of the Aerotropolis Master Plan;
- Clear strategies of the revitalisation of the manufacturing sector;
- Full implementation of the transport strategy;
- Accelerate the spatial economic zones programme;
- Provision of land available for large scale investments;
- Revival of township economies (garages, shops, informal trading, foreign nationals);
- Empowerment of SMMEs through public procurement
- Massive infrastructure rollout;
- Promote support of local products (Buy Local); and
- Actively participate in the labour environment in the region
TYPE OF SECTOR / BUSINESS
Economic Development (Multiple Sectors)
CONTEXT AND TERMS OF ENGAGEMENT
In facilitating the implementation of the 10-point plan priorities, the event will be used as a plant to showcase the City's investment and development opportunities, and industrial capabilities.
These opportunities and capabilities have been identified through the Aerotropolis Master Plan and industrial development programme including the Industrial Policy Action Plan programmes relevant to the City's priorities
A number of private sector led developments have taken place in anticipation of the Aerotropolis programme. At the same time, the City's flagship projects like the Integrated Rapid Public Transport Network are being implemented including plans by the Airports Company South Africa to expand the OR Tambo airport terminals.
In addition, Economic Development Department is engaging with industry for the development of industrial sector clusters in line with the opportunities identified in the master plan and also in line with the Industrial Policy Action Plan.
The 2016/17 event will focus on attracting business and potential investors to promote the identified industrial development opportunities. The targeted audience will also include industry associations, local organised business formations and financiers. The event is expected to continue to raise greater awareness about the Aerotropolis development and other flagship projects. Most importantly, this platform will also promote the implementation of the 10-point plan priorities with the ultimate goal of attracting increased domestic and foreign direct investment to the City.
The event is planned to focus on the following areas of development which will inform the 2 day programme:
- Ekurhuleni Urban Development Zones
- Funding and Finance
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Aerospace and Aviation
- Industrial Cluster Value Chains
- Black Industrialist Development
The event is organized for 2 days with the proposed structure of the event as follows:
- Main and Opening Plenary
- Opening Plenary on Second Day
- Parallel Panel Discussions
- Executive Mayor's Round Table
- Gala Dinner
- On site media broadcasting
- To promote and facilitate the implementation of the 10-point plan with specific emphasis on the following:
- oRevitalization of the manufacturing sector
- oImplementation of the Aerotropolis Master Plan
- oAccelerating the spatial economic zones programme
- oProvision of land available for large scale investments
- oEmpowerment of SMMEs through public procurement
- oPromote support of local products
- To generate substantial interest in the Cities investment and development opportunities within the City's Urban Development Zones (Germiston and Kempton Park including Boksburg)
- To attract increased number of domestic and foreign direct investments to the City to enable implementation of the investment project pipeline currently worth of up to R300 billion
- To attract industry participation for targeted industrial sector clusters being promoted
- oChemicals, Pharmaceuticals Plastics and Rubber
- oRail Capital Equipment
- oPlatinum Group Metals Beneficiation (Fuel Cells)
- oAerospace and Aviation
- To secure long-term stakeholder partnerships in the City's development programmes.