The Executive Mayor heads up a team of 13 full-time Councillors comprising the Mayoral Committee of 10, a Speaker and a Chief Whip of Council.
Political oversight in the administration is ensured through the creation of the Section 79 and Section 80 committees. The Section 80 committees are the Portfolio Committees and comprise:
- Health and Social Development
- Human Settlements
- Environmental Development
- City Planning and Economic Development
- Roads and Stormwater
- Water and Energy
- Community Safety
- Sport, Heritage, Recreation, Arts and Culture
- Public Transport, Planning and Provision
The region is divided into 101 wards in total. There are a total of 202 councillors, comprising both elected representatives, i.e. 101 ward councillors and proportional representatives, i.e. 101 councillors.