May I, as an estate agent, advertise?
How and Where? For estate agents, one of the most important ways of advertising a property available “For sale” or “To let” is through outdoor advertising, thus advertising boards that are visible to the public. Often, however there is uncertainty from the estate agent's side, from the client or even from the general public on how and where these boards may be erected. The Metro has rules, regulations and guidelines on how any advertisement, which is visible to the public, should look and where it may be located.
What is the class and criteria of estage agent signage?
- This class will be permitted in all areas of control.
- The size and height of advertising signs allowed in this class, are as follows:
- Maximum size: Non-residential vacant erf: 6m2
- Size: All other signs: 0.6m x 0.45m
- Height: Maximum 3m
- The position and spacing requirements for this class of advertising signs are as follows:
- Placed close to a boundary fence or within boundary of erf.
- Maximum one advertising sign per agency.
- Maximum three advertising signs per erf.
- Non-residential vacant erf/land, will not be permitted in the road reserve
- These advertising signs may not be illuminated or animated.
- This class consists of advertising signs which are temporarily displayed, by the owner or its agent, to advertise the fact that land, premises, development or any other form of real estate is for sale, to let, sold or on show.
- General requirements as stated in Section 13 to 18 apply.
- All advertisements in this class shall contain only the words ‘For Sale’, ‘To Let’, ‘Sold’ or ‘On Show’ and the name, logo, address and telephone number of the selling agent or letting agent.
- The erection of ‘On Show’ estate agents’ signs on streets reserves shall be permitted on public holidays from 05:00 on condition that they be removed before 20:00 on that day and after 12:00 on Fridays on condition that they be removed before 12:00 on the following Monday.
- An advertising sign may consist of a single sign or two duplicate signs joined at an angle of 120°.
- Any estate agents sign exceeding 0,27m² shall submit a formal application to the EMM.
- The advertising signs shall be placed at or fixed to the building concerned, or attached to the boundary fence of the premises concerned, or displayed within the boundaries of such premises, or displayed on the sidewalks to a maximum of 1 metre away from the boundaries of such premises.
- “On Show” estate agent signs shall be allowed to be displayed within the road reserve in the event of the advertising sign being a residential advertising sign. Advertising signs shall not be displayed on road islands or medians. ‘On Show’ signs may be displayed from the nearest Class 3 road with no less than 60m intervals between the signs, and no more than 10 signs being displayed at any one time. This includes “On Show” signs for new developments.
- All ‘For Sale’ and ‘To Let’ signs shall be removed no later than 3 days after completion of the sale or granting of the tenancy.
- ‘Sold’ signs may be displayed for a period not exceeding 30 days after completion of sale
- ‘On Show’ signs for new developments may be erected for a period of six (6) months where after an extension of an additional six (6) months may be obtained at the discretion of the EMM. All such signs shall display a sticker obtainable from the EMM confirming legality.
- No advertisement relating to the sale, show or lease of a fixed property shall be displayed in any manner or in view of any street, unless the prescribed annual license tariff is paid, particulars of the concerned estate agency are recorded on a database, and the necessary prescribed license is issued by the EMM.
- This class is subject to the approval of the EMM.