A precinct plan defines the desired development direction of the precinct and recommends a range of public realm projects to facilitate new relationships between the public and private realms. The precinct planning process envisaged for the current project is viewed as an ongoing process of local area elaboration and planning (complementing and supporting the Metropolitan and Regional Spatial Development Frameworks of the municipality) rather than merely a series of independent products.
In line with the Spatial Vision outlined in the State of the City Address, the following Precinct Plans have been initiated by the City Planning Department:
- The Thelle Mogoerane Precinct in Vosloorus, as part of the Thelle Mogoerane Corridor;
- The Dries Niemand Precinct in Kempton Park, part of the Aerotropolis Corridor;
- The Kempton Park CBD Precinct, key to both the Aerotropolis Corridor and the Thami Mnyele Corridors;
- The Bredell Precinct, central to the growth of the logistics potential and capacity of the Aerotropolis Corridor;
- The Germiston Lake Precinct, encompassing the Victoria Lake area and Rand Airport, a key Precinct in the Corridor.