On 22 May the City will table its budget for 2019/20 as well as the 2017 – 2021 IDP (Integrated Development Plan). The draft documents are open for inspection and comments. Deadline is 23 April 2019.
HAVE YOUR SAY IN THE BUDGET PROCESS
The Integrated Development Plan (IDP) is a process where municipalities prepare a strategic development plan that covers a five-year period. It includes the:
- resource allocation, and
- decision-making processes in the municipality.
It also includes the public participation process where meetings with the public are held across the City.
LET'S LOOK AT THE IDP AND BUDGET FOR 2019/20
Referred at the Medium Term Revenue and Expenditure Framework, or the MTREF, this looks at budgets for the various projects/services that the City will carry out in the next financial year - and also over the next five years.
The City works with Capital as well as Operating budgets to fund the core services. The Capital Budget is used to fund service delivery needs of the community, such as:
- Construction and upgrading of roads, clinics, libraries,
- Network enhancement, and
- Electrification of houses, and the like.
On the other hand, the Operating Budget is used to fund the day-to-day activities of the municipality such as:
- Bulk purchases of electricity and water,
- Repairs and maintenance of infrastructure,
- Grass cutting,
- Maintenance of parks and recreational facilities, and
- Metro policing, and the like.
Have your say
You can have your say on the IDP/Budget simply by viewing the draft documents and sending through your comments before 23 April 2019. You can:
- Be a part of the public meetings and have your say;
- Visit the City's pay points and libraries to view the documents and fill in a comments form;
- Visit our website, view the documents, and complete the electronic comments form.
- Send your comments to