Code of Conduct for Municipal Employees
What is the code of conduct?
The Code of Conduct for Municipal Staff is contained in the Municipal Systems Act and outlines the way we must behave as government officials.
Who is the Code of Conduct for?
The Code is applicable to Municipal staff members and Municipal Entities staff members.
What are the Consequences of not Complying?
Disciplinary Action, Reputational Damage, Criminal Prosecution, Losing your job or even your Pension Fund
What the Code Says
A staff member of a Municipality must at all times:
- loyally execute the lawful policies of the Municipal councill;
- perform the functions of office in good faith, diligently, honestly and in a transparent manner;
- act in the best interest of the Municipality and in such a way that the credibility and integrity of the Municipality are not compromised; and
- act impartially and treat all people, including other staff members, equally without favour or prejudice.
A staff member MAY NOT BE:
- engaged in any business , trade or proffesion other than the work of the Municipality, unless with the prior consent of the council of a municipality.
- a party to or a beneficiary under a contract for the provision of goods or services to any Municipality or Municipal entity.
A staff member of a Municipality MAY NOT:
- use the position as a staff member for personal or private gain, or for the benefit of another;
- use any confidential information obtained as a staff member for private gain, or to improperly benefit another person; or
- take a decision on behalf of the Municipality concerning a matter in which that staff member, or that staff member’s spouse, partner or business associate, has a direct or indirect personal or private business interest.