The City of Ekurhuleni is proud to announce that it will once again host and present the annual national Thami Mnyele Fine Arts Awards. This contemporary fine art competition caters to artists of all ages, producing various media of artworks.
The City is privileged to associate this national fine arts competition with the acclaimed resistance artist, Tami Mnyele, who gave a voice to the nation through his talent.
This year 400 entries were received from up and coming artists and 100 of these were selected to be part of the virtual exhibition. The virtual exhibition runs from 8 October on the TMFAA portal.
The official announcement of the competition winners is virtual this year and takes place on 8 October 2021 at 12h00. To be a part of it, click on the link
The following prizes will be awarded:
- First place: R100 000.00
- Ekurhuleni place: R60 000.00
- R10 000.00 prize money and Lizamore & Associates Mentorship Programme and Solo Exhibition (prize sponsored by Lizamore & Associate Gallery)
- R10 000.00 prize money and August House Emerging Residency Artist Award (three-months artist residency programme)
The adjudication panel for the 2021 competition are:
- Sizwe Khoza – 2019 winner
- Molemo Moiloa Gapare – artist and curator
- Colbert Mashile –artist, lecturer and curator
- Gordon Froud – lecturer, adjudicated national and provincial art competitions and accomplished curator and artist
- Aysha Waja – independent curator and artist mentor
Some of the criteria for the submitted works was that all works of art must have been completed in the 12 months before the competition and participants must be South African citizens over the age of 18.
For more information, please contact: