facebook Share on Facebook

Have you recently purchased a motor vehicle? Do you know how the City of Ekurhuleni can help you to make the process of changing ownership easy and convenient?

Change of Ownership

Any changes regarding the particulars of the vehicle’s owner or titleholder must be updated with the relevant motor vehicle registration authority in the City. If you are selling your car or buying a used one, here is what you need to know:

  • The seller must complete the form NCO (Notification of change of ownership/Sale of motor vehicle), and submit it to their registration authority
  • The seller must hand over the registration certificate to the buyer
  • The buyer must complete form RLV (Application for registration and licensing of motor vehicle) for submission
  • The buyer must submit the vehicle registration certificate, if the vehicle was registered in South Africa
  • You will need a mass measuring certificate if the vehicle's tare was changed
  • The buyer must submit the forms at the relevant registering authority within 21 days of purchasing the vehicle along with the registration form obtained from the seller and the current roadworthy certificate.

*Tip: It is the responsibility of the buyer to ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy.

The registration of a motor vehicle costs R192.00 (all categories). However, the vehicle must also be licensed upon registration and the motor vehicle license fee differs according to the tare of the vehicle.

Please note that no vehicle is registered if the previous owner owes license fees on the vehicle. The fee must be paid first before any transaction can be concluded.

Where can I obtain the application forms?

All necessary forms are available from the motor vehicle registration authorities or can be downloaded directly form the eNaTiS website at

Having your registration and licensing documents in order is an essential part of owning a vehicle. Knowing what is required to register and license your vehicle can save you time and money.