The City of Ekurhuleni warns the public to be aware of a job scam targeting applicants of the City’s Job Opportunity Programme that is currently in recruitment stage for internships, cadets and other positions.
The scammers promise the targeted persons appointment into the programme in exchange for payment.
The City reiterates that any promise of appointment outside the normal recruitment process is a scam.
The City officials only contact successful candidates through official communication channels, namely telephone or email.
The public is urged to note the following to avoid being scammed:
• The City will never ask you for money in exchange for a job interview.
• The City’s email addresses are formatted as
• The City’s official office telephone numbers start with 999, i.e. 011 999 xxxx.
• The City conducts face-to-face interviews in a designated municipal office for appointment into this programme.
• Any communication and adverts of job opportunities carry the City of Ekurhuleni logo and NOT Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality.
The City strongly advises the public not to respond to unsolicited offers of employment from people claiming to work for, or to be associated with, the City of Ekurhuleni.
Report fraud and corruption on 0800 102 201, or fraud hotline website