A three-month e-learning programme is on offer to Ekurhuleni residents for free.
This is an initiative of the City’s Library and Information Services together with the National Library of South Africa and Gauteng Provincial Library Services.
The programme, to start in February, is conducted through the Cisco Network Academy and aims to offer IT qualifications in various modules.
Head of Library Services in the City Karin Muller said this is a self-paced programme and is offered online. She said face-to-face lessons would also be offered by some libraries in the City.
“This is part of the strategic plan for libraries to embrace the 4th industrial revolution and create opportunities for our communities,” said Muller.
The programme includes the following modules:
- IT Essentials
- Introduction to Cybersecurity
- Cyber Security Essentials
- Introduction to the internet of things
- Linux unhatched
- Programming essentials in Python
The following are criteria for applying:
- There is no age limit
- An applicant must be a resident of Ekurhuleni
- An applicant must have completed Grade 12 - no other formal qualification required
- An applicant must be committed to complete the course
- An applicant must have basic IT knowledge.