Human Settlement Department
A City of neighbourhoods that are economically, environmentally and socially resilient and that offer the best quality of life for its residents
To become a world reference for sustainable human settlements
The function of the Human Settlements Department comes from the Housing Act that provides that every municipality must take all reasonable and necessary steps within the framework of national and provincial housing legislation and policy to ensure that:
- The inhabitants have access to adequate housing on a progressive basis;
- Set housing delivery goals in respect of its area of jurisdiction;
- Identify and designate land for housing development;
- Create and maintain a public environment conducive to housing development;
- Promote the resolution of conflicts arising in the housing development process; and
- Promote and enable appropriate housing development in its area of jurisdiction.
Strategy and Planning
Maneo Thelejane is the divisional head for Strategy and Planning – a division that provides strategic and macro planning for department is responsible for project specific settlement planning
Community Services and Relationship Management
DH Aubrey Mokgosi is responsible for driving and managing rental stock of the City, co-ordination in relation to the prevention of land invasion,
Finance and Grants
Alina Ngema is responsible for the division that provides administrative and management support to the Human Settlements Department in terms of financial management and budgeting.