Community Empowerment

How to Change Ownership of a Motor Vehicle

So, you’ve bought a car and now you need to register it in your name – change of ownership is easy if you know the process to follow.

Change of Ownership

Any changes regarding the particulars of the vehicle’s owner or titleholder needs to be communicated to the relevant motor vehicle registration authority in the City. If you are selling your car or buying a used car, here is what you need to know:

  • The seller must complete the NCO (Notification of change of ownership/Sale of motor vehicle) form and submit it to the registration authority.
  • The seller must hand over the registration certificate to the buyer.
  • The buyer must complete the RLV (Application for registration and licensing of motor vehicle) form for submission.
  • The buyer must submit the vehicle registration certificate, if the vehicle was registered in South Africa.
  • You will need a mass measuring certificate if the vehicle’s tare was changed.
  • The buyer must submit the forms at the relevant registering authority within 21 days of purchasing the vehicle along with the registration form obtained from the seller and the current roadworthy certificate.

* Tip: It is the responsibility of the buyer to ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy.

Where can I obtain the application forms?

All necessary forms are available at the motor vehicle registration authorities or can be downloaded directly form the eNaTiS website at

Having your registration and licensing documents in order is an essential part of owning a vehicle. Knowing what is required to register and license your vehicle can save you time and money.