How to Make a Traffic Fine Representation

Received a traffic offence fine but it’s not your car and you weren’t in that area at that time?

Motorists are advised to carefully examine the fine as it contains the call centre’s number for any queries they may have about the fine; they must also check whether the offense recorded is correct.

According to EMPD Spokesperson Kobeli Mokheseng a motorist can contest the fine at the municipal court based on their line of defence, if there is any.

Before approaching the municipal court, the aggrieved motorist must visit the nearest Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Police Department (EMPD) precinct or Municipal Traffic Court and fill in the representation form.

Mokheseng says the National Director of Public Prosecutions states that a representation may only be accepted if an affidavit, with motivation, supporting evidence is provided. Currently, representations are taken physically by visiting the abovementioned offices.

“We deal with 12 magisterial districts, 12 different prosecutors and can therefore not yet provide a single email address for representations. We will in the next financial year provide an electronic method via our formal website.”

He added that there is no need for motorists to make any appointments with prosecutors to make representations. They can do normal walk-ins during official court hours as the prosecutors serve the suspected offenders on a first come basis. 

Check traffic fines issued in Ekurhuleni on www.paycity.co.za (or use app Paycity on both iOS or Play store).

Fines can be paid on the Paycity website or through third party channels such as ABSA, FNB, Paycity, South African Post Office, and Standard Bank.