Disinfect Your Car and Keep Your Loved Ones Safe
The need to practise good hygiene is far greater now in the current status with regard to the spread of Covid-19.
Disinfecting your car serves a good purpose in reducing the spread of this deadly virus and aids in providing for a safer community. This will reduce the chance of coronavirus being transmitted through frequently touched surfaces such as steering wheel, gear lever, radio, rear view mirror, fuel lid opener and door handles.
Tips on how to disinfect your car:
- Protect yourself first – Wear rubber gloves and a face mask as there will be a lot of dirt particles in the air as dust surfaces. Apply alcohol based sanitiser to your hands before putting the gloves on so that you have an extra layer of protection. It is also recommended that you wear long pants and sleeves to limit the amount of direct contact to your skin.
- A regular clean – Start cleaning your car as you normally would. Pull out the floor mats and dust them. Use a vacuum cleaner and work on getting all the dirt and grime out from all the corners of the car, and vacuum the seats as well. Be sure to clean out the vacuum cleaner and dispose of the dirt in your waste bin.
- The soak – Add regular detergent or a liquid soap and mix well into a bucket of water. Soak all the carpets/floor mats in this water and leave for a minimum of 30 minutes before rinsing and leaving them out to dry in the sun.
- Scrub well – Prepare a separate soap-based mix to be used as a scrub for fabrics that cannot be removed from your car. Dip a sponge in the mixture and scrub the likes of your seats, door panels, armrests and roof lining. Make sure you reach all the corners.
- Down to the detail – Take an alcohol based disinfectant and cover a sponge with to. This is used to rub down all plastic parts including the door panels, center console, dashboard, covers between doors and the windscreen. Don’t forget to clean the boot of the car as well.
- The exterior – After cleaning or disinfecting the interior, it is now time for the exterior. A soap wash will make sure all the exterior surfaces are clean. Leave the soap on the car for about five minutes and then wash and rinse using a dry cloth to get rid of the excess water.
- Clean up – When done washing and disinfecting your vehicle, it is important to dispose of the gloves, and other disposable materials immediately. All your clothes and washing material must be washed straight away. Importantly take a shower or bath when done washing your car.
Let us always take all the necessary precautions to curb the spread of this virus and keep our families and community safe and healthy.