THE CITY’S WASTE WATER TREATMENT ENTITY WINS SIX AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE
The City congratulates the Ekurhuleni Water Care Company (ERWAT) for excellence in water purification in the country.
Erwat walked away with six awards for its waste water treatment exploits at the 2022 National Green Drop Awards recently held in the Western Cape. Green Drop Certification serves to acknowledge excellence in wastewater treatment plant operation.
“The City of Ekurhuleni strives for excellence in all our areas of work. The issue of providing quality, sustainable and equitable services to our people remains of paramount importance to us, and it give great pleasure to see that our hard work in the various aspects of our work get recognition in critical quarters of society,” said an elated City Manager Dr Imogen Mashazi.
Over 144 water service authorities were audited in the Green Drop Certification process.
The criteria focused on five assessment areas and these were:
- Capacity Management – Process Control, Maintenance, Technical/Engineering, Scientific;
- Financial Management – Wastewater Operations Cost Determination, Energy Demand, Budget and Expenditure, SCM of Suppliers and Service Providers;
- Environment Management – Wastewater Risk Abatement, Effluent Quality Monitoring, Sludge;
- Management, Laboratory Credibility – technical management – Design Capacity, Process Audit/Condition Assessment, Sewer Main Inspection, Asset Register, Local Regulation; and
- Quality Compliance – Monitoring Information, Authorisation, Effluent Quality Compliance, Sludge Classification.
The six facilities of Erwat that scooped the awards are:
- Rondebult (Germiston)
- Herbert Buckley (Nigel)
- JP Marais (Benoni)
- Esther Park (Kempton Park)
- Grundlingh (Nigel)
The Green Drop Certification programme seeks to protect the environment from the hazards associated with polluted wastewater/sewage. It sets standards higher than minimum requirements and challenges water services authorities to go the extra mile in a quest for excellence.